It turns out Black Friday shoppers will literally go crazy for good deals and sales, sometimes resulting in violence and in extreme cases even death. Since 2006 the Black Friday Death Count has risen to a whopping 7 deaths and 90 injuries, but the same handful of stores keep showing up year after year as the scene of violent crimes. Check out our list of the top five most dangerous stores to look out for on Black Friday in 2014.
Walmart has been the scene of more violent crimes on Black Friday than any other store. Over 60 total casualties--including pepper spraying, stabbings, shootings, and random brawls--have occurred in Walmart stores on Black Friday in locations across the country since 2006.
- 2013 Pepper sprayed
- 2013 Walmart employee injured
- 2013 Walmart shopper stabbed
- 2013 Police officer injured trying to break up brawl
- 2012 2 people shot over parking space
- 2012 Shoppers hit by drunk driver in parking lot
- 2011 Fighting breaks out
- 2011 Shooting in parking lot, 1 injured
- 2011 Pepper spray attack
While you might not expect a toy store to be a dangerous place to shop, three injuries and two deaths have taken place at Toys R Us on Black Friday in recent years. In 2008, 2 men (both armed) shot and killed each other in the store after their wives reportedly got into an argument near the cash register.
- 2008 2 die and 2 injured in Toys R Us shooting
- 2009 Woman trampled outside before store opening
Black Friday shopping has gotten a violent and ruthless reputation due in part to an incident that occurred in Target on Black Friday in 2011. An older man with health problems collapsed as he entered the store. The crowd of shoppers were apparently so determined to take advantage of Black Friday sales that they stepped around and over the man instead of stopping and helping him. The man later died.
- 2013 Target shopper shot while carrying TV home
- 2011 Target shopper collapses and dies amidst stampede
- 2011 Target employee drives into canal due to exhaustion
- 2010 Mob outside of NY Target turns violent, causing injuries
Black Friday shoplifting and theft resulted in violence at department store Kohl's last year. A shoplifter was shot and injured attempting to flee the scene while dragging a police officer who was hanging onto their car. Another armed officer shot the suspect when the car came to a stop.
- 2013 Several injured in Kohl's parking lot shooting
- 2010 Transgender woman assaulted at Kohl's
Shoplifting resulted in more Black Friday violence at Best Buy in 2010. A marine was stabbed while trying to subdue a shoplifter fleeing the store. The marines were in the store volunteering to collect donations for the Toys for Tots charity program and ultimately helped subdue the shoplifter.
- 2010 Marine stabbed & shoplifter injured on Black Friday